Charleville Castle

Tullamore, Offaly
Tel:057-9321279

Click here to

Call us

Click here to

Email us

Details

Located in County Offaly, in the Midlands of Ireland, and bordering the town of Tullamore near the Shannon River.

Charleville Castle is situated in Ireland's most ancient primordial oak woods, once the haunting grounds of Ireland's druids.

Charleville Castle is one of the most finest gothic-style castle in Ireland, built by the Earl of Charleville, Charles William Bury (1764 -1835) under the inspiration of his artistic partner, Lady Catherine Marie Charleville in 1798. It was designed by Sir Francis Johnston, one of Ireland’s leading architects, who also built the General Post Office and the Chapel Royal (Dublin). The distinctive feature of the castle is the architecture, especially the spectacular ceilings. The most impressive one (dining room) was designed by William Morris in the 1890's, a well known stencil artist of this time.

Nowadays the castle is run by the charity "Charleville Castle Heritage Trust" which was created in 1994. The Charleville Castle Heritage Trust is a voluntary non-for-profit organisation (a company limited by guarantee registered in Ireland and charity - NGO) managed by Dudley Stewart with a team of core volunteers. The day-to-day running is handled by volunteers, who come from different countries including France, Canada, the United States of America and the United Kingdom, as well as other parts of Ireland to help out at the castle. The aims are the restoration and the sustainable conservation of the building.

Our Social Profiles

Opening hours

Call us or check our website link below for details on opening times

Latitude: 53.260458

Longitude: -7.527925